President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni will visit families of murder victims in Bukomansimbi in Lwengo Districts Wednesday (tomorrow) after panga-weilding men hacked four people dead and injured 30 others on Sunday night.
The residents of Kisojo, Kyamabaale, Katoogo, Kisaaka in Bukomansimbi were celebrating New Year when men armed with machetes raided the areas.
Some people were attacked as they left their trading centres while others were found at home.
The deceased have been identified as Denis Ssebugwaawo, Lumala, a former police officer, John Bosco Sseremba, Jane Nantale and Gonzaga Kayemba.
Eyewitnesses said the attackers smashed Ssebugwawo’s door before hacking him to death.
Residents revealed that wrong elements had earlier circulated leaflets warning of an impending attack which encouraged youth to hunt down the suspected criminals in vain.
It was not until Sunday that the machete men struck Bukomansimbi and Lwengo, leaving a trail of bloodshed.
A local leader said the killers did not steal any property from the area, underscoring their motives – murder and terror.
Museveni’s visit comes after Police Chief Gen Kale Kayihura rushed to the area on Monday and said the spike in criminality which was characterized by armed attacks and ‘threatening letters’ in the Greater Masaka had been defeated.
“Suspects were apprehended and are now facing justice in the courts of law,” said Kayihura.